Friday, July 31, 2015

Pura Vida Futsal - Alec Bakkeby in Costa Rica

By Alec Bakkeby, Captain of the U.S. Youth Futsal Boys U16 team
Today was a day to remember to say the least. It began when we played the Santa Ana Futsal Club and beat them 14-2. It is always a great experience to represent your country alongside some of the best players in it. However, this game was just the beginning of my eventful day.  
After I came out of the locker room, I was surprised to find a few Costa Rican girls waiting to take a picture with me. This was probably the first time a "fan" that I didn't know has given me some sort of special attention. As I walked outside to get a drink at the snack stand a group of little kids were talking to me in Spanish and then invited me and some of my teammates to play in their pick up game. 
Later that night after watching some games Coach Keith Tozer asked me if I would like to play in the 18s game. It was a great experience playing with the older kids and a very intense game. We ended up pulling off a close 4-2 win.


Bakkeby (lower right) with fans from Colegio Santa Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment